Jeff Martinek

Assistant Director, Missouri Southern State University Honors Program, Associate Poorflosser of Puppetry and Inkless Littlesure

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Coffee Quest















This morning I woke up at about 4:45 am and could not get back to sleep, no matter how hard I tried. After about 40 minutes I decided to take a walk and try to find coffee. Unfortunately there is nowhere in the entire city where you can buy a coffee before 7:30am. So I actually ended up sitting in a park reading one of my Roman history books waiting for a coffee stand to open for about two hours while the city slowly came to life, with the street sweepers, windows washers, delivery vans, shopkeepers opening up storefronts, etc. My philosophical mind finds much to be admired about the way these proud folk refuse the American gospel of 24-hour consumerism, but I'm still a bloody yank---and one from New York to boot, where one can get a 17-course Korean meal at 4:00am without batting an eye!

2 Comments:

At 12:01 PM, Blogger Adam said...

No coffee before 7:30am? That's just plainly uncivilized, no two ways about it. I guarantee you, you get good coffee from 5:30am on in Germany, Switzerland, North Italy, and France! The Brits need to get with the times. Thank heaven we won that war.

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger Jeff Martinek said...

I've got a workaround now: I nicked some packets of Nescafe, sugar, and creamer from the club and my water heater in my room is hot enough to produce a decent cup of that most indecent invention, instant coffee, when I need it badly.

If I could figure out how to mainline it I probably would.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home