What Is "Doner Kebab"?
This article explains the meaning of those late night trucks that line the streets of Oxford (and, we understand, Dusseldorf, Madrid, Istanbul, etc.) and which seem to enjoy a complete monopoly on post-pub (which is early here) junkfood supply.
Döner kebab, literally "rotating meat", is a sliced lamb or chicken loaf slowly roasted on a vertical rotating spit. It is similar to gyros, shawarma and Taco al pastor. Döner kebab is popularly best known served in pita bread with salad but is also served on a dish with a salad and bread or French fries on the side (not in Australia) or used on Turkish pizzas called pide or "kebabpizza". Take-out döner kebab or shawarma restaurants are common in some parts of Europe. Döner Kebab is said to be the best-selling fast food in Germany and comes close in the popularity stake-outs in France, Denmark, Finland and Australia. Take-out gyros is quite popular in the United States where it is usually beef and lamb, shawarma is available in ethnic neighborhoods but döner kebab is unknown.


7 Comments:
Doener Kebap is definitely the best selling fast food in Germany. Probably because it's cheap, succulent, and generally served on baked to order bread. My mouth waters just thinking about, think I'll head over to Salaam's in the loop for a spot of hummus. Cheers.
At first I thought you meant it
was a Donner Kebab - as in the Donner party that crossed the Sierra mountains and ended up eating each other. Then I thought, nah they wouldn't let you take a picture of them if they were cookingpeople.
HA! That's good, Tom. Can you photoshop me a food van with "Donner Kebab" on it? Perhaps a sign with a special: "Donner Kebab with side of Soylent Green" I assume you've seen this site: http://www.eathufu.com/home.asp
Yeah, I've seen that site. Haven't tried any of the recipies... ;)
I'll see what I can do about he van image. I'm a little crazy busy at work right now, but we're almost done.
You know, looking at that image you've got there - it does kind of look about the right size and shape of a human thigh.... Maybe my first impression was correct?
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Let me try that link again:
Alton Brown's Gyros recipe
Post a Comment
<< Home